Find What You Want

17 May 2014

Drunken Melon Balls

Original Pin
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/489133209501570508/


Drunken Melon Balls





This was a pin that I put up for Pyro's family to attempt and turns out that I am the one that made it. It is a little surprising since neither Pyro or I are very big drinkers and, well, this is a very alcohol infused snack/app. I do not like the pin itself, as it brings you to a site that has over 50 different "alcohol" recipes, so I did further search on how to create this dish.

Materials

  • Large Serving Bowl
  • Melon Baller
  • Cutting Board
  • Large Knife
  • Tablespoon
  • Cantaloupe
  • Honey Dew
  • Watermelon
  • Pineapple Juice
  • Flavor Vodka
  • Peach Schnapps
  • Regular Vodka

What I Did

Get a large, and I mean LARGE serving bowl. Cut the honey dew, cantaloupe, and watermelon is half. I bought a seedless watermelon to make life easier. With the honey dew and cantaloupe, spoon out the centers with the seeds and rinse of the halves.

Once everything is set up, use the melon ball on each half of the melon until it is clean out of "fruit meat". This part was oddly satisfying. And easy. At first I freaked out about making the "perfect melon balls" and then I realized I was being stupid and just to go with the flow. It was a lot of fun and it makes for a cool looking shell at the end. Now, this can also be done with the children; however, you are going to want to skip the next part if the children are involved.

I mixed in a 2 to 1 ratio of alcohol to fruit juice. I got a 64 ounce bottle of pineapple juice, which I used about half of the container, which covered about half of the fruit. I drank the rest of the pineapple juice, because I love pineapple juice and you have no right to judge me. In the same container, I mixed in the flavored vodka (Smirnoff Sorbet Light Mango Passion Fruit), vodka (Smirnoff), & Triple Sec (we did not have peach schnapps in the house). Basically, I used the left overs that we had of each bottle until my pineapple juice bottle was completely filled. I added this to the melon balls and pineapple juice. I then covered the bowl and placed in the fridge over night.

All I can say is "DEAR LORD". Like I said at the beginning, I am not a big hard liqour drinker. Actually, I am not much of a drinker at all; however, I tried on of these prior to leaving for the family gathering and it was strong. Very strong. Very, very, very good, but very, very, very strong. I believe I should have gone for a 1 to 1, adding more pineapple juice, not getting rid of any of the alcohol. Apparently it was a big it, because none of it came home at the end of the night.
Conclusion
The pin itself it worthless. You have to scroll through post after post after post of alcohol-themed...well, everything. The concept, awesome. Look for a different pin, a different site, a different recipe. Mix up the alcohol, juices, fruit, that you use. You can come up with some pretty awesome flavors if you just experiment. And if you have friends and family that like a good "snack" in which they can crash on the couch, you will also have victims to try out your experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment